Sarah and Adriana. Beauty enthusiasts from Brisbane, Australia.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Our top 6 primers

Our favourite primers that we personally use on a weekly basis! Note: Using a primer shouldn't serve as a substitute for your moisturiser. Your skin care routine is separate to your makeup routine, however some primers (not the ones mentioned in this post) have built in moisturiser, in which case you may not need any extra hydration :) 

Adriana's favourites: 


#1. Face of Australia's Face Base Primer (with Vitamin E and Camomile)
$11.95 - Target, K-Mart and Priceline

To get the record straight, the most amazing primer I have ever used is Napoleon's Auto Pilot Primer, with that said, I am not keen to fork out the money for it, when I have found the Face of Australia Primer. FoA's Face Base is a 100% perfect substitute for Napoleon's. It's moisture rich, and does a fantastic job of locking in moisture whilst smoothing your base to prepare for your foundation. Having well hydrated skin (even if you are typically oily) is an important factor when it comes to the end result of your makeup application - dry skin will make your base look cakey, powdery and allow imperfections to appear more obvious. This comes in a squeezy tube and is of a light weight, gel consistency - appropriate for application over your entire face.

#2. Loreal's Studio Secrets Anti Redness Primer
$16.95 - Target, K-Mart and Priceline

Loreal's Anti-Redness Primer creates a fantastic base for foundation, whilst also colour correcting your complexion, removing redness and allowing easier coverage by your foundations and concealers. This concealer also locks in moisture the same as the Face of Australia Face Base, but introduces a further benefit to allow a more even canvas. This comes in a slim pump bottle, appropriate for use over your entire face if necessary, but can also be used to target areas of more obvious redness. This primer is more expensive on the drugstore scale, and used for important occasions.

#3. Urban Decay's Pore Perfecting Complexion Primer Potion (wow..what a name). 
$32.97 - www.beautybay.com

This is my holy grail pore/line/scarring filler. It is of a thick consistency and is best to be pat onto problem areas (generally used after one of the above mentioned primers to ensure that all imperfections are smoothed over to create a near perfect canvas pre-foundation application). This product comes in a squeezy tube which is fantastic for hygienic reasons and is definitely best used in moderation - which is a bonus as this is not a product that is easily accessible or affordable to the Australian market.


Sarah's favourites:



#1. Inglot's Under Makeup Base
$35 - Inglot stores

This is my every day primer, because while it doesn't distinctly aim to cover blemishes, it does a fantastic job of making my skin feel smooth and moisturised and most importantly helps my foundation settle perfectly which is important when hiding any imperfection. It is a gel consistency and takes a minute or two to settle into the skin and notice the difference in skin texture without leaving any residue or weird sticky feeling like some gel primers do!

#2. Victorias Secret's VS Pro Airbrush FX Shadow Correcting Primer
$18 USD - www.victoriassecret.com

I guess you might be wondering why I bought a shadow correcting primer of all things rather than a line filler or mattifying primer like we have previously mentioned. My theory was that if there is scarring on my face the indentation will inevitably cast a shadow, so I hoped that this primer would offset that, and make any scarring or shadows (I have especially dark shadows under my eyes) less noticable. It has a velvety feel and takes no time to set - the way it feels when you smooth it on, is the way it stays. I would recommend this product for anyone it with no blemishes / mildly blemished skin, however for any medium to heavy scarring or blemishes I would take a pass on this product and look at my #3 :)

#3. Loreal's Studio Secrets Professional Smoothing Resurfacing Primer
$39.95 - Target, K-Mart and Priceline

This is my favourite primer, and you can guess from the name, it's a resurfacing primer, so it aims to really smooth over any imperfection. It is thick in consistency, and comes in a small tub which some people have problems with because of hygiene, but I personally find no issue with it if your hands are clean each time you use it. You do not need this all over your face, you simply need to pat it onto any problem area (for me it's scarring on my cheeks, which is instantly smoothed over when I apply it). Because I don't apply this all over my face, I like to use my Inglot primer all over my face prior to using Loreal studio secrets so that I don't have any unprimed patches. Overlapping these two primers works really well, and reduces the appearance of scarring by a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment